Thursday, July 9, 2015

Commonplace Quote 7.9.15

A weekly peek inside my commonplace notebooks.


"Commonplacing is the act of selecting important phrases, lines, and/or passages from texts and writing them down; the commonplace book is the notebook in which a reader has collected quotations from works she or he has read. Commonplace books can also include comments and notes from the reader."  {From "Commonplaces: An Introduction" by John Hilgart and Van Hillard}
Other definitions:
  • A book into which notable extracts from other works are copied for personal use.
  • A notebook in which you enter memorabilia.
  • The recording of words and ideas in a commonplace.

.

6 comments:

  1. I have never heard of commonplacing before, but I think I've collected phrases before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Hummie! I think a lot of us already do this without knowing there's a phrase for it.

      Delete
  2. Mary,
    I LOVE the idea of "commonplacing". If affirms whatI've been doing for years! Thank you for the explanation, affirmation, and confirmation. You are indeed a kindred spirit.
    Pamm H

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy I found your blog and fascinated that there is a name for what I do!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful to know about- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this idea! LOVE your work!!

    ReplyDelete